Wednesday, December 9, 2009
let it snow..
Yesterday was extremely eventful in our household. First off we woke up to a horrific snow storm. It was so bad we made sure to see if school was canceled before Tyler left the house to take Athena to school on his way to work. For some unknown reason it was still open... We live an exact 1.2 mile drive from her school to our home. It took Tyler 1 hour to make that drive due to the snow storm. I was appalled that school was not cancelled. Ty said the school informed him when he dropped her off that due to the weather they would not be taking role and half of the faculty wasn't even in yet! Then I frantically prayed for the snow to stop all day due to the unfortunate news we received the day before at Athena's first day of school...
Tyler had the previous day off from work so we all took Athena to her first day of school. After escorting her to class I proceeded to the office to arrange for her to begin using the school bus. At that time I learned unlike Idaho they do not provide busing for all the students to attend school. So Ty and I decided at that time he would take her to school in the mornings on his way to work and I would walk to her school and pick her up in the afternoons until I could find someone at our new church to help us out and bring her home! Well even with all this weather I still had to make this walk with 3 little kids. So it took me 1 hour, holding Kallista (no stroller in the snow), dragging Ari (she couldn't manage walking throw the snow that was up to her waist!) to walk to Athena's school. Once I got there things just got worse. As I approached the designated pickup area I could hear Athena crying. Because I could see she was near about 3 adults, before I was close enough to talk to her I started yelling what was the matter. One of the adults, I am supposing is a faculty member answered me and said she was just cold. Then As I soon could have Athena in my sight I saw why she was so cold. Her jacket was not completely on her, her pants soaking wet and her hands were beet red! Even though it is less then 20 degrees outside the teacher didn't find it necessary to make sure her students jackets were all on and zipped up. Next I have now been informed by the staff that they are so understaffed that the children are let out of the classrooms after school from one side of the school to walk behind the building to the pick up area without adult supervision. Consequently While Athena was making this trek for the first time ever she was instructed to follow another student who led her though a pile of snow for "fun" instead of keeping them on the side walk. Athena fell in the snow, froze her bare hands, soaked her pants and had no jacket zipped up to keep her warm. After she eventually made it to the pick up area frozen and crying she just stood there next to a bunch of adult school workers who all just choose to not help, they were too busy! So she was in no condition to make the hour trek back home. So I took all 4 of the kids into the lobby, took off as much of her wet clothes as possible and waited 1 1/2 hours for Tyler to be able to get off work and come pick us up. So today Athena did not back go to school, we'll have to wait till Sunday to arrange a ride for her before we take up this up again. Not to mention she is pretty shook up by her negative experience. So the snow sure looks pretty but it made this a little too difficult for us yesterday, don't we have a pretty view from our bedroom?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment